Monday, May 14, 2012

Upstate New York Bucket List revisited and revised!

About a year ago I put together my "Upstate New York Bucket List" that ended up getting a bit more attention than my usual ho-hum post (thank you All Over Albany!)  I had put the list together as a motivator when I was thinking that I was going to be moving out of the area in the next year.  Well, as I've mentioned before, I took a new job, and it is right here in the Capital Region, so sorry to disappoint, but I am not going anywhere any time soon :)

With that in mind, I wanted to revisit my Bucket List, see what I've checked off in the last year, what I have left to do, and see what I can add to this list.  If you want to see the original list you can check it out in my old post from May 2011.  First, let's take a look at what I checked off in the last year:
Maid of the Mist proof!

I guess I got busy, huh?  Three is sort of a disappointing number for an entire year!  Oh well, with those items checked off the list, here is what I have left to accomplish:
  • See the Baseball Hall of Fame at Cooperstown
  • Eat at Cheesecake Machismo 
  • Hike Plotter's Kill to see the waterfalls 
  • Drink a birthday boot of beer at Wolff's Biergarten
  • Spend an afternoon at Thatcher Park
  • Ride the Hudson/Mohawk bike trail
  • Take a stab at one of the high peaks in the Adirondacks
  • Learn the history of Albany on the Albany Duck Tours
  • Cross the border and explore Montreal
  • Eat at the River Street Cafe (Miss Albany Diner was on the list, but it closed!)
And some new items for the list, from your comments and from what I've picked up over the past year. Some of these I have already checked (as you can tell) but I wanted to include them in the overall list in case anybody else is following along and so if later in my life, I look back or want to make a suggestion to someone, everything is listed here!
  • Eat at Ala Shanghai in Latham
  • Eat at Ferrari's in Schenectady
  • Run the Boilermaker (will have to wait until 2013 as it is full!)
  • Visit the U.S.S. Slater
  • Attend a River Rats Game - Check.
  • Attend a Tri-City Valley Cats game - Check.
  • Spend a day in Burlington, VT and visit the Ben & Jerry's Factory
  • See the firework display at Empire State Plaza - Check.
  • Try mini hot dogs from Gus's in Watervilet
  • Try wings from the Ale House
  • Walk through Congress Park in Saratoga
  • Visit the Troy Farmer's Market
  • See the waterski show at Jumping Jack's
  • Visit the Victoria Pool in Saratoga
  • See a show at Northern Lights in Clifton Park
Feel free to add, I am always looking for fun and new things to do.  Would love to keep this going and make it more comprehens

3 comments:

  1. I want to go on the Albany Duck Tours too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're looking for the best mini dogs, it's gotta be Famous Lunch in Troy. If you go to Gus's though, get the sausage sandwich with the works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I moved here 2 years ago and will likely be moving away in another year or two so I have a similar list. Thanks so much for sharing yours! I checked off thatcher park last weekend... Loved the views. You'll have to add the Howe caverns to you list. . . Definitely worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete